Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Pinterest, its fueling and fanning of the female fanish flame.


So I definitely just had to search how to spell that word.

My good friend recently posted a status on facebook: "Pinterest's main message seems to be "It's okay to be fat, but you should also have six-pack abs, and here's a million pictures of cake." Now, I don't know a lot about pinterest, admittedly, but I have some experience in culture. The inconsistency of it all is stark. Pinterest is a place on the internet where girls go to feed their most girlish desires. I'm serious. I'm not getting on there right now because I'm at Mugwalls and everyone walking by would see me on there and that's not happening. I'm sure if I got on I would see exactly what every girl wants most. You have the marriage albums, the food albums, the good looking men albums and so on. The girls want to be accepting of who they are and so their cool with flaws. At the same time there's a desire for flawlessness because the world will be the world and have its way. And though there's nothing wrong with flawlessness, it is what we're called to, it isn't physically achievable.
Beyond that, Pinterest feeds a mighty fire of fanhood. Pinterest is a brand new machine that runs the factory of obsession. I was thinking today about the coming and going fads. Highschool Musical, The Jonas Brothers, Justin Bieber, The Lord of The Rings, Hannah Montana, Twilight, Inheritance Cycle, The Hunger Games, and Webkinz (That's right, I went there.) just to name a few. They come and they go, and now Pinterest is a means of that. I saw lately. Is this wrong? No, nothing is really wrong in and of its self, but there's a lot of potential for evil. I recently saw on facebook a picture of some girl's album filled with pictures of Josh Hutcherson, who played Peeta Mellark in the recent Hunger Games movie. It was titled "My Future Husband." I can't help but shiver at the thought of it. Clearly this is too much. Even if she doesn't really think she's going to marry him, she is pouring her thoughts, emotions and time into obsessing over him. He's something that's going to be old news before we know it. (unless he gets a lot better at acting soon.) How much time is Pinterest taking away from what really matters? And worse, how is it affecting the minds of those on it? Take me seriously now, I know I'm starting to sound like an old conservative geezer.
My point is, Pinerest brought to mind the temporariness of so much that we invest in. So much of what we talk/think/complain/worry about does not matter. Often times it's hurtful. At one point in the gospels, Jesus calls Peter "Satan" for thinking about earthly things over heavenly things, it's a big deal. So I suggest if you read this far, think about what you worry about and spend your time doing, because that's what matters to you. Simple as that.

Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth.
Colossians 3:2

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.
Philippians 4:8

1 comment:

  1. So I just found your blog and read this post...I couldn't agree more with your statement "think about what you worry about and spend your time doing, because that's what matters to you. Simple as that."
    It's a strong convicting statement because it cuts to the heart and the truth. Sometimes that thought is just the one needed to bring us back to what really matters - a life surrounded by Christ!

    ReplyDelete