Thursday, October 20, 2011

Michael the Turtle

Now I don't know how common it is but in my circles of friends I have found myself in interesting discussions. Sitting around, hanging out and talking about if we were animals, what animals would we be?  I enjoy this game, I almost enjoy it as much as the "what element-benders would we be?" but that's for another day.
Often I am compared to a bird, some sort of bird but oddly enough, I am consistently a turtle. I have a few friends, friends who don't know each other, who have said that I'm a turtle. Never really knew how to take that. I mean turtles are cool, don't get me wrong, but birds just seemed a little more generally attractive. But today, I was in class discussing culture and turtles came up. (Really you should take this class, we talk about everything. This was just a little before power rangers came up.) My professor talked about how turtles were see in the eastern world as wise, self-efficient beings. They may be slow but they are tough and–what I thought was coolest– they carry their homes with them. That became quite interesting to me, knowing me and how those few people saw turtle in me.
Last night my friend was telling me about how she was looking forward to sleeping in her own bed tonight because she was going home. I didn't say anything really but my thoughts went to the fact that I don't have my own bed anymore, just the one I bought when I moved to college. I don't really mind all that much, it just came back to being a turtle. I guess I am a turtle. When I'm in Texas I'm a European, when I'm in Slovakia I'm a Texan, I carry the only home I know with me and that's the Kingdom of God.

1 comment:

  1. Beyond that, you're a turtle because you take the time you need to be there for people, to listen, to not rush off and do a million other things. Taking life in long, thoughtful strides--it's a turtley thing :)

    ReplyDelete