Sunday, August 25, 2013

Summery Summary: SpeakOut

I'm not the first to say this, but the greatest conclusion you ever come to is that of your personal perception of the person of Jesus Christ. Lately, within the past few months, I have been brought back to the importance of the gospel. How important is it? More than anything. This is mind, why don't we share it?
This summer I went back to Slovakia, the country I consider to be my home. I have a lot to say about it, more than I can manage in one blog post, so here's a quick summary. I wrote a news letter for people who were aware of the trip and I wanted to share it with you.

Hello friends!

     I am back in the US of A! Flights, trains, speaking Slovak, and the use of passports are all over for the time being. I've seen old friends, I've made new ones. I've laughed, cried, and made many many memories this summer in Slovakia. Now, I am currently sitting in my favorite coffee shop and thinking back on it all.
     God has worked in beautiful ways this summer! Yes, He has worked through me: I led worship for the team and led tutor groups of unbelieving campers. But more than that, I have seen Him work in and through others in ways that blow my mind still. Others led me to see just how much God cares for Slovakia.
     There was a group of twelve Slovak volunteers that had formerly been a handful of the campers in years past. This year they stepped up in maturity to invest in the ministry just as much as the rest of us. I have never been more encouraged in my life as when I saw the love for the Lord these young believers have. It was an honor to work with young Slovaks that cared about making an eternal impact. We were all there to fill a role in sharing the gospel to nonbelievers— to the campers. 
     Some of the most amazing moments I had this summer were in modest situations much like the one I am in now, sitting, drinking coffee, and talking about Jesus. I had six Slovak high schoolers as my personal campers this summer. Four of these young men, from the day I met them, rejected God as either real or relevant. All of them are wonderfully kind but unwilling to accept Christ. Over the course of the week, between frisbee, swimming, and card games, I would share the Gospel as we drank coffee or Kofola, every Slovak's favorite soda. Many of them had no basic understanding of the gospel to begin with. Over the week, step by step, they came to understand what I believed and who Christ is.
     One guy in particular comes to mind: Jozef (or Joseph, in English). He is a 17 year old atheist from Košice, Slovakia. He had never understood the gospel of Jesus Christ before coming to SpeakOut. On the last day, after a week of exposure, we sat at a café drinking espresso and talked about what was holding him back from accepting. I could see the cogs turning in his head and with so much understanding he said he just needed more time. I couldn't ask anymore of him. I had seen him go from just living life for the fun of it to understanding how significant this decision was.


     I wanted to write and thank you for your prayer and support throughout this summer! You have no idea of the extent of your partnership's impact on this summer in Slovakia—only God knows— and I can't thank you enough for all your faithfulness.
     Please continue in prayer for these Slovaks. Pray that while they are in school this semester being followed up by SpeakOut staff that they would come to know Christ and grow in Him. Some, like Jozef, are so close! Also, pray in thankfulness for the 40 who did receive Jesus this summer, and that they would continue in faithfulness.


     The grace and peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment